Acrylic on canvas, 48 x 39 inches.
Exhibited: Ross Thiele & Sons Gallery, La Jolla, California, 1978. Estimate $900.
This pink church with its title – The door was finished in February of 1649 – stands near the entrance of Antigua, on of the old capitols of Central America. It is covered with symbols: evangelists with enormous long ears of wisdom; the Hapsburg eagle on the left; to the right is Santiago charging over three volcanoes (symbolizing Spain’s ecclesiastical conquest of Central America). In the center, below the Virgin, an angel holds up her pedestal but instead of a loincloth he wears a flor de monja, Guatemala’s national flower.